We would like to share a recipe from our Relais & Chateaux lodge, Awasi Atacama, in Northern Chile. Chef Juan Pablo has been heading up the kitchen team since we opened Awasi Atacama in 2007. Here is one of his favourite recipes:
FRIED SCALLOP & CHEESE EMPANADAS
Servings: 12 units
Cooking Time: 3-5 min
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for 12 servings
For the dough:
· 700 grams of all purpose flour
· 1 litre of milk
· 40 grams shortening or butter
· 15 grams salt & pepper
· 1 grams baking powder
For the Filling:
· 60 Scallops
· 600g Soft Cheese
· 1 Lemon
· Salt & pepper to taste
· 2 Litres Sunflower Oil
· Melt the shortening or butter, and heat the milk
· Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, shortening and milk together kneading until they form a smooth dough.
· Cover the dough and let it rest at room temperature for two hours.
· Put the scallops into small bowl and season with lemon zest, salt, pepper, oil and lemon juice.
· Roll out the dough until it is 1-2 mm thick, then cut out circles of about 15 to 20 cm in diameter.
· With a brush, wet the top surface of the dough circles, then place some scallops and cheese into the center as a filling. Keep a 2cm rim at the edges of the dough circle, as we will need it to fold it closed.
· Fold the dough in half, surrounding the filling until you achieve the classic “half moon shape” of the Empanada.
· Seal the filling into the dough by folding or pressing both sides together neatly. The easiest way is pressing the sides together with a fork.
· Fry at 248 °F (120 °C) for 3-5 minutes or until the dough is golden and crispy.
Enjoy! Perhaps with a pisco sour…